About the degree programme
Designing sustainable process technologies
Environmental protection, recycling and sustainable product design are integral components of the circular economy and the Environmental Technology degree programme. Special focus is placed on the topics of sustainability along the entire value chain and efficient use of resources. The focus of the study programme is on the development of technological solutions for industry-related problems that contribute to solving the challenges of the future, resource conservation, environmental and climate problems from a sustainable perspective.
In the Environmental Technology degree programme, students receive a sound basic education in mathematics and natural sciences with the fundamentals of process engineering and chemistry.
The focus of the study programme is on the aspect of sustainability and environmental topics of industrial process technologies. In addition to water and soil protection, air pollution control and immission control, students delve into topics such as recycling technologies, resource-efficient material formulations and product design. The interdisciplinary character of the study programme is reflected in focal points such as circular economy, waste management and assessment of the complete value chain.
The programme is rounded off by interdisciplinary modules such as methodological competence, application-oriented laboratory practicals and an internship semester. Thanks to good contacts and cooperation with industry in the ChemDelta, students receive a practical and needs-oriented education. During the practical semester, students put the knowledge and skills they have acquired into practice.
Based on solid knowledge of sustainability such as resource-efficient material formulation, sustainable product design and circular economy, the environmental technologist is also able to assess waste, wastewater, emissions and products and their process technologies from technical, economic, environmental and societal perspectives, for example:
- How can impacts of handling waste, wastewater and emissions be assessed?
- How can processes be optimised in terms of environmental compatibility and resource efficiency?
- Can waste management be replaced by circular economy?
- Can value chains be converted from fossil to sustainable raw materials?
Graduates of the Environmental Technology degree programme have access to the following occupational fields, among others:
- Environmental measurement technology
- Waste management
- Water and soil protection
- Air pollution control & immission protection
- Project engineering of environmental plants
Application and admission
Secure a place at university
- Start of programme: each winter semester
- Application period: from 1 May to 15 July
- The prerequisites for admission to the programme are a general higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Gymnasium), a subject-related higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Berufsoberschule) or a Fachhochschulreife (e.g. Fachoberschule Fachrichtung Wirtschaft). Further possible admission requirements can be found here.
- The environmental technology degree programme has no admission restrictions, i.e. no numerus clausus. Every applicant receives a place on the programme if the general admission requirements are met.
Pre-courses - Transition from school to university made easy