Financing studies

What does studying cost?

Anyone starting a degree programme needs to think about the financial aspect. How much it costs per month to be a student depends on several factors, such as the fact that rent in smaller towns is cheaper.

Living costs for a so-called ‘normal’ student (i.e. one in his/her first semester, who doesn’t live at home) amount to an average of around 800 Euros per month, for rent, utility bills, food, clothes, learning materials, transport, communication, leisure and health insurance, according to the Student Union’s calculation. You can find a study finance calculator for working out your own budget here.

What financial assistance can I get from the state?

Child benefits

Parents of students who are under the age of 25 years (plus civil/national service) can apply for child benefits. These benefits should be passed on to the student as part of the obligation for support. There has been no more income limit since 2012 - but anyone who has already completed vocational training may only regularly work up to 20 hours per week.

What do my parents need to pay for me?

Maintenance rights against your parents

Parents are obliged to support their children. The obligation for support also includes financing a suitable vocational education, such as a degree.

My parents can’t afford to pay for my studies. What financial assistance can I get?

Support in accordance with the Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz (Federal Training Assistance Act)

The aim of the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) is to give all young people the opportunity to complete an education, regardless of their social and economic situations, which corresponds to their skills and interests.

What do I need to know if I have a student job while studying?

Most students have a student job during their studies. Those receiving BAföG can (as a single person without children) earn 5400 Euros per calendar year, so an average of 450 Euros a month without having to worry about their support being reduced. There is often a ‘working student privilege’ for social insurance.

You can also find current job offers on Rosenheim University of Applied Sciences’ job portal.

Are there student jobs at the university?

Jobs as student assistants or tutors

Rosenheim University of Applied Sciences offers jobs internally, via the Community, as student assistants or tutors.

How does the dual education programme work?

Earn money with the dual education programme

In the dual education programme a theoretical education at a university is combined with a contractual practical job at a partner company during the practical phases, in the semester holidays and during the thesis period.

Can I get a scholarship?

As part of promoting talent in the university sector, many funding institutes provide financial support and assistance for studying in Germany. Some scholarship providers specifically promote new students, others give scholarships to those who have been studying for some time. There are also those who provide scholarships for people with professional qualifications. Many factors determine whether someone receives a scholarship or not, such as if the person gets good grades or does voluntary work, but social criteria such as financial need, a chronic illness/disability, or studying with children also play a role.

Student Administration is the place to go to for the Oskar-Karl-Forster scholarship. Students can receive a one-time grant for purchasing books or other learning resources. You can find information and the application form here.

The contact person for scholarship matters at Rosenheim University of Applied Sciences is the Student Administration. The International Office is the place to contact for scholarships with an international element.

As part of its advisory network, Munich Student Union offers a scholarship advisory service to help students select the right scholarship programme as well as with preparing applications. You need to arrange an appointment for an advisory session.

Are there any grants towards paying rent?

Rent supplements and housing benefits

The rent supplement is a benefit according to the Sozialgesetzbuch II (Social Security Code). Trainees living with their parents should use this to be able to finance the uncovered costs for living and heating. The rent supplement applies when the actual living costs are higher than the fixed amounts for living costs set out in the educational support, or if the maintenance amount provided by the parents is not enough to cover the costs.

Housing benefits are a federal grant towards the rent. If you live alone or in a flat-share, you can only receive housing benefits if you get your BAföG by way of exception as a bank loan, or if you are not (no longer) entitled to BAföG. If you live with family, however, and have a low household income, you can still hope to receive housing benefits even if you are entitled to BAföG.

Can I finance my studies with a loan?

Student loans

Another way to pay for studies is with a student loan (study credit). There are state loans, bank loans, education funds, or student loans from the Darlehenskasse der Bayerischen Studentenwerke e.V.
As is the case with all loans - be careful.

Munich Student Union offers a Study Credit Advice Service.

Do I get special support if I have children?

Studying when you have children

Students who have children receive special support.

Old Browser Link